at Stanford University
focuses on computers and minds: artificial and natural
systems that use symbols to communicate, and to represent information. SSP
brings together students and faculty interested in
different aspects of the human-computer relationship,
- cognitive science: studying human
intelligence, natural languages, and the brain as
- artificial intelligence: endowing computers
with human-like behavior and understanding; and
- human-computer interaction: designing
computer software and interfaces that work well with
Symbolic Systems' affiliated faculty come from several
departments at Stanford, including Computer Science, Linguistics,
and Education. Our students
are exposed to the tools of these disciplines -- formal
methods, philosophical analysis, computer programming,
and empirical research -- with the aim of being able to
apply the appropriate tool(s) to a chosen area of
specialization. SSP alumni are found in various
occupations, including software design and applications,
teaching and research, law, medicine, and public
you had an account on the old Symsys site: You can
log in under the "Deme Account" option using your old
username and password. If you don't remember your username
and/or password, email davies at stanford edu.
Symbolkic Systems Program Advising Fellows for the Academic Year 2013-2014 will be:
- Nikhil Bhargava ('14), Neurosciences
- Erik Brockbank ('13, SSP coterm '14), Decision Making and Rationality [returning AF]
- Julie Fortuna ('13, CS coterm '14), Human-Computer Interaction [returning AF]
- Makiko Fujimoto ('14), Cognitive Science
- Howon Lee ('15), Artificial Intelligence
- Hershel Mehta ...
2 weeks, 1 day ago
Ben A. Barres (Professor of Neurobiology, of Developmental Biology and of Neurology and Neurological Sciences) has been named a Member of the National Academy of Sciences.
4 weeks, 1 day ago
Office hours for the Symbolic Systems Advising Fellows and Program Administrators for Spring Quarter are listed below. If you are viewing this in the newsroll, click "Full Article" to see the complete list of office hours. Watch here for updates.
- Ximena Ampuero ('13, Cognitive Science), AF, Tuesdays 2:00 - 3 ...
2 years, 9 months ago